This process has been going on for many years:
- Some medical study is made about health.
- Popularizers exaggerate the effects shown in the study, and inflate the core results into a program to improve/extend healthy lives.
- Eventually, the government gets on board, and mandates changes to diet, exercise, medication regimens, or medical procedures.
- After years of pushing the system on the general public, an honest re-evaluation of the effects is made, and - guess what? The advice is found to be completely wrong.
- Calorie reduction
- Strain on joints - The Aerobic workouts were infamous for promoting injuries, using the words, "No Gain Without Pain".
- Sudden heart attacks in the middle of exercising
- Body image issues - for women, unhealthy thinness; for men, steroid abuse
- Failure to modify exercise for difference in body type, physical condition, or disability