Skip to main content

Retirement is NOT Always Forever - Nor Complete

My husband and I have differing ideas about what it means to retire. My idea is that it should be a real change, not just changing jobs.

Now, our ideas were formed, in part, from our different experiences. My dad retired - for good - at 60. He had just received a diagnosis of cancer, and he wanted to take advantage of the freedom of retirement.

He never did much travel. My mother's ill health made that difficult, at best. She was resistant to getting a motor home, and using that as a base for their life. Even after her death, 12 years later, he seldom was able to see other sights. He died four years later, never having been far from home.

Den's father died before he could retire, at 52. Even when he was in the hospital, dying, he was planning to oversee building and operation of the new plant in Bradford. After his death, the new structure was never built, and the original plant eventually closed.

Den has already retired, once, from his job in Cleveland. Even before the retirement paperwork was through, he was already working another job in SC.

When he talks about retirement, he envisions working, although perhaps on a reduced or more flexible schedule. He may be right, for him - he finds it hard to NOT work, sometimes (often) going into work on the weekends to catch up on paperwork.

Not me, though. When I retired, I anticipated NOT working at all. I planned to write - and, perhaps, to make some small income from that.

Last spring, after a LOT of nagging, I finally agreed to work as a sub in Fort Mill. This was largely because of the recent diagnosis of cancer he received.

I've continued, this year, because I realized that, with only $5280 needed each year in income, I could qualify for a year in Social Security. That not only ups my current income, it also raises my SS check, AND it decreases the amount taken from that check, as a result of WEP (Windfall Elimination Profits). WEP is levied against government workers, military, and teachers, and is calculated on the amount of the check we receive each month, by a formula related to the number of qualifying years.

So, yes, I may well work for another 5-10 years, part-time. It would definitely be worth it.

In some ways, working has been beneficial to my writing. It's easier to procrastinate if you have no urgent appointments. By restricting the endless time, I've made it more important to maximize the free time that I have.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Retirement Looks like for Me

Last spring, after my husband had to travel to Cleveland to deal with a medical situation, he requested that I start substitute teaching in a local school. As he would be missing some time at school, he wanted to make sure that our budget was covered. It was a reasonable request, and I agreed. I ended up subbing about 2-4 times a week. I have to admit, I found it actually easier to keep up on housework and other things, due to the need to plan ahead. I could no longer procrastinate endlessly - I had to schedule tasks and writing, and meet my goals. I was able to put out two short stories, and make a lot of progress on a new book.  In addition, I improved my physical well-being (all that walking around the schools and in the classrooms), and got away from the fridge. This fall, I went back, primarily to get sufficient days in to get a qualifying year in Social Security. If I teach more than 53 days in a year, at $100/day, it meets the minimum requirement. Which does 3 things: G

Off the Fence

It's official. I submitted my retirement letter today. Already heard back from Benefits. I do feel relieved. Actually making a decision is less stressful than avoiding making one. I'm going to spend the rest of this week catching up on grades, making notes about what to take and what to pitch, and planning for the transition.

Back After NaNoWriMo

I did National Novel Writing Month again this year. I gave up about 1/3 of the way through. Life smacked me in the face a few times, and I gracefully bowed to the inevitable. I had thought it would be easier this year, without a job. Turns out, the reality is more complex than I expected. Read about it here.